So I’m sure many of you, like me, have jumped on the coconut water bandwagon that has been gaining popularity the last several years. If not, I’m sure you’ve at least heard about it, right? Right.
Well, I ‘m a big fan of the coconut water. It tastes good and it’s oh-so-good for you (we’ll get to that later). I usually just drink the natural kind but occasionally will spring for a mango-flavored variety.
The best coconut water I EVER had in my life was on my honeymoon in Bali! It was the real deal. YUM!
Well, imagine my chocolate-loving surprise when I saw THIS on the shelves at Trader Joe’s.
You ARE reading that correctly. Chocolate coconut water. It’s as if the health gods know me personally and decided I was deserving of a gift. I physically had a brief moment of hyperventilation in the aisle, which I’m sure made me look totally normal.
I was SO excited but also concerned. Were my expectations for this chocolate coco water just too high? Would I be disappointed?
Something about chocolate coupled with coconut is right in so many ways (think Almond Joy). But,as we’ve established in previous posts, I am total a weirdo. For example, I will NOT drink the hot chocolate you make with water. Hot chocolate should be made with milk and pure cocoa. Period.
I worried this would be like hot chocolate made with water. A total fail for my taste buds.
Afraid that I would be let down by this choco coco, I let this bottle sit in my fridge for nearly a week. I continued to drink the plain kind until finally I took the plunge.
I was NOT disappointed in the least! It definitely has more of a rich flavor than its tropical counterparts but it’s smooth and yummy! I will save choco coco for a special treat.
In case you don’t drink coconut water, here’s why you should:
- Coconut water is extremely hydrating, more so than plain water.
- One serving has more potassium than a banana
- It’s a natural way to replenish electrolytes so it’s great for during or after a workout. WAY better for you than Gatorade or other sugary sports drink. (Although sometimes I still do love me my Gatorade, not gonna lie)
- Some say it can boost your metabolism slightly
- It can also help regulate digestion
- Now, I haven’t actually tried this but thought it was interesting. Coco water applied to the skin can apparently help with acne, eczema, and cellulite.
Cheers to healthy drinking!